Have you ever tried savoury oatmeal? If you haven't, you have to get on it ASAP! Masala oats is an Indian breakfast porridge filled with vegetables and spices. Not only is it filled with incredible flavours and aromas, but it is the perfect way to get in your veggies, healthy carbs, and fibre in the morning! This is actually one of my favourite breakfast foods, especially if I want to mix things up from the regular, sweet oatmeal. Trust me, Masala oats take breakfast to the next level!This recipe is entirely vegan, and makes around 4 servings!
- 1 cup quick cooking steel cut oats I use Quaker brand
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp fennel seeds optional (but good for digestion)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 tsp curry powder I use Jamaican, but you can use South Indian (the amount depends on the quantity of vegetables you're using)
- 1-2 cups vegetables I use frozen peas, carrots, and methi
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 cups water split
- Turn on stove to medium heat. Add cooking oil to a pan and allow it to heat.
- Add cumin and fennel seeds to the pan, and fry until lightly browned for around 30 seconds.
- Add tumeric and curry powder, and fry for around 30 seconds. This will bring out the flavours of the spices!
- Add your frozen vegetables, and one cup of water. Turn the stove to a medium-low heat and cook until your vegetables are tender. *You may need to add more water if you're using two cups of vegetables.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the oats and the remaining cup of water. Mix everything quickly so the oats do not clump.
- Add the hemp seeds and chia seeds, and cook until you have an oatmeal-like texture. *You may need to add more water to achieve this.
- Turn off the heat and serve.
- You can top the oats with coriander, slivered almonds, or other nuts for a bit of crunch!