Oats chilla is an Indian savoury pancake that is absolutely delicious and simple to make! It is the perfect everyday breakfast, brunch, or snack filled with fresh vegetables and spices. Not only do you get heaps of nutrients from the veggies in this recipe, but the oats add plenty of fibre and sustained energy. You can always adjust the types of vegetables to your liking with this recipe, and it is perfect to pack on-the-go!
- 1 cup instant oats
- 2 tbsp gram flour
- 2 tbsp semolina
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 4 tbsp oil for cooking
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- Dry roast the oats in a pan for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. This will bring out its flavours and aroma!
- Move the oats to a bowl, and let cool for several minutes.
- Begin adding the gram flour, semolina, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, green chillies, coriander, ginger, cumin, and red chilli powder to the oats.
- Mix the ingredients together while gradually adding water until it is a thick consistency. Let the batter rest for around 10 minutes.
- After the 10 minutes, stir in another 2 tablespoons of water, salt, and coriander.
- Add oil to a pan on medium heat. Pour spoonfuls of the batter on to the pan and let it cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately and enjoy with chutney or ketchup!