Daal and Sweet Potato Casserole
If you love Sweet Potatoes, you will love this Daal and Sweet Potato Casserole. Packed with protein and carbohydrates, this dish is perfect for bringing to a potluck or picnic.
- 5 Sweet Potato Medium, Peeled, Cubed
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 White Onion Medium, Chopped
- 2 Carrot Medium, Diced
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Grated or Minced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 3 Cups Vegetable Broth or Water
- 1 Cup Dry Red Lentils Rinsed
- 1 Cup Cilantro Chopped, plus more for garnish
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper To Taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion, carrots, ginger, and garlic for about five minutes. Stir in the curry powder and tomato paste, and cook for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth and red lentils. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the carrots and lentils are tender. Stir in the cilantro and transfer to a large oven-safe dish.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with salt and pepper and spread evenly over the lentils—broil for five to 10 minutes or until just browned (optional). Scoop into bowls and enjoy!
Leftovers Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days. Serving Size One serving is approximately two cups. A 9- by 13-inch baking dish was used to make six servings. Additional Toppings Add chilli peppers, peas, beans, or cauliflower to the lentils. Add any milk, yogurt, or cream to the mashed sweet potatoes.